Mind Australia supports clients to live independent, productive and satisfying lives through a comprehensive range of services.
Established nearly 40 years ago, Mind Australia is a leading non-government provider of mental health and psychosocial disability support services with over 60 service sites throughout Australia. This year, we will support about 11,500 Australians whose lives have been disrupted by mental ill-health (including their families and carers).
Through the relationships we build with our clients and their carers, and the practical assistance we offer, we help people to gain better mental health and improve the quality of their lives. Each person's journey of recovery and wellbeing is different and Mind focuses on helping each individual plan and work towards their own life goals.
We have a range of services, both residential and out in the community, allowing us to respond to the variety of people's support needs. These include:
- helplines that provide information, guidance and referrals
- outreach support services that provide 1-to-1 practical help and motivational support
- support coordination for those who need a lot of different health and social services
- residential programs that provide a safe, supportive environment in which to work more intensively on recovery (both youth and adult-oriented services)
- psychological counselling and therapy
- group activities that offer social connection and mutual support
- courses and workshops for skill building and helping people learn how to manage their health and wellbeing
- online forums where peers can share their insights and support each other, and
- support for families and carers so they can have some respite from the demands of caring.
We work hard to engage with families, friends and other carers to involve them in decisions about their loved one’s care. We also have support services specifically for carers.
The video below provides a great insight into our work here at Mind. Two of our clients, Kristine and Tony, have kindly agreed to share their individual stories while our Board Chair, Julian Gardner, discusses Mind's broad direction and ongoing commitment to individuals, families and carers. We hope you enjoy it.
The Strategy Plan 2016 - 2020 confirms our vision as one of Australia’s leading mental health and disability providers within the new NDIS landscape. It reflects our commitment to providing quality services to consumers empowered with more choice and control. These services, along with our increasing footprint in psychological counselling and health service contracts, are aligned with our purpose to help people to gain better mental health, and improve the quality of their lives. View the animated presentation or download Mind's Strategy Plan 2016 - 2020 .
Mind Australia is an incorporated company limited by guarantee, not for profit organisation that receives the majority of its funding from State and Federal Government.
We acknowledge the importance of this funding and collaboration in working with us to support people’s mental health recovery within the communities we work. Mind is also supported by a diverse range of trusts, foundations, community organisations and individuals. We are particularly grateful to our many regular donors that contribute to our iMind program which funds several initiatives.